Thursday, April 23, 2009

Consulting Update

Here's the scoop on the new plant consulting job. Yesterday, when I was at the magical place that has cured me of a decade of daily headaches, I noticed a very sad looking plant sitting on the windowsill. Turns out, due to a variety of weird circumstances, Dan acquired this plant in tough shape. He knew it needed new soil, but only had the kind good for a cactus on hand, so I offered to help. Now folks, let's be honest. I make at least as many mistakes at farming as I have victories, but really, this plant was on its last leg anyway, so it seemed like as good a time as any to begin the consulting job. I carefully drove the thing home, and took this hasty (blurry) picture before getting to work.


Turns out, the thing was potted in what seemed like dust from an empty lot, with chunks of concrete (yet, you read that right) at the bottom of the pot. Unfortunately, there was not much of a root structure at all, and some of the branches were basically like lawn ornaments, stuck in with not a root to be found. So! I gave it some new, loose soil, removed the unrooted branches, made a cutting for a cup of water and a cutting to plant directly into the soil (not sure which one is right), and here we are. Still really droopy, but I'm hoping it will perk up a little bit soon.

Updates, of course, will be forthcoming.

Also, farm update: another Wando pea seedling is up! And the spinach has finally sprouted! The lettuce, on the other hand, is a Situation. I think the seeds either blew or floated to a low spot in the bed, because I know I spaced the seeds this year...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks much much better! Dr. Gower saves the day!!

Daniel Gaustad, DC said...

Thanks again for the help on this, Amy. Can't wait to see what your green thumbs can do! Will there be fresh mint leaves in my future?