Saturday, June 28, 2008

Farmer Only Thinks She's Smart

Well, this morning is the kind of morning that makes up the life of a new farmer, I think. I had Big Plans. Farm projects included: making some tough decisions about the tomatoes, going to Hom(o/e) Depot, transplanting tomatoes based on the tough decisions, more forceful encouragement of the peas to grow up the fence, and various other Projects.

I surveyed the tomatoes one last time before heading to the Depot, with the intention of making the decision on the way. A summary of the problem: the tomato plants growing two per pot are thriving, and one in each has started to flower. They can't keep sharing a pot, because they're adolescents now, and just like Mandrakes, they need to strike out on their own. So the question is where to put them outside of the reach of MiniChuck. Verdict: One of the plants I shocked practically to death (see this post if you forgot about those antics and my confession) isn't growing as fast as the others, and it doesn't have a strong, primary stalk. All the same, it's still growing so this decision is weighty. It may be worth putting one of the potted tomatoes there. That only left one more plant to find a home for, and since that bolted cilantro/coriander continues to mock me at every turn, that pot seemed like a good candidate for the final plant. Not to mention the fact that dumping that coriander would be extremely satisfying (it was, fyi).
The rapidly growing pots:













The smaller one:


Pour one for my homie.









On the way to the Depot, I decided that these kinds of life and death decisions are Trials of being a Farmer, and I just better get used to them if I'm going to be any good at this. I also realized that the weather was perfect for transplanting--cool (mid 60s), cloudy, and with the possibility of a shower. A sign, if you will.

All was not as it seemed, however. On the drive home, there appeared a Threat of Rain. Fine, I thought; then I wouldn't have to water the transplants. After unpacking the car and removing the stunted tomato plant, the showers started, and a quick glance to the sky made me wonder whether we were now under Threat of Hail. Long story short is that I finished the job as quickly as I could, but not without getting myself and Maisy completely drenched. I hope it was the right call. Time will tell, as they say. It was way too rainy to get pictures of the final product, but of course I'll post those soon. Here's what I could capture.





There's the farm. Pretty, isn't it? ;)










Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 83F
Yesterday's low: 65F
Warnings: "special weather statement" (aka threat of rain and hail for unsuspecting new farmers)
Mood of the farm: skeptical of its farmer
Reason to consider a new career: if this post doesn't answer that question, i don't know what would...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES! Our hostas won't die in our absence! :) However, sorry you and the golden delight were drenched. I hope the pride plans are still "a go." Turns out it's Pride weekend in Seattle and...I've already got the word on all the hookups...did you every doubt? ;)