Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Additions on the Farm

Things are growing away on the farm (photo updates soon), and I have some exciting news. I've wanted to grow garlic since the beginning of the farm, but never quite managed to get everything in order at the right time to do it. I figured last October was my last shot, and at that point, the Farm was in danger of becoming a garage. So imagine my surprise when Suburban Gardener and her Partner in Crime gifted me three varieties of garlic from the St. Paul Farmers' Market (which also sells fresh chicken eggs! I am SO going there this weekend. Anyone interested?) and advice from the garlic farmer who said you can plant them now for smaller bulbs late-summer. Woohoo!!!

So. The Farmer extends Learning Opportunities to garlic. Planted today: Music, Inchelium Red, and Georgian Fire garlic plants. Possibly shallots next. Stay tuned.
And finally, seeds for 5 varieties of heirloom tomatoes were planted today, a little late, but better than never. Seems like the summer push is in full swing.

Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 62F
Yesterday's low: 29F (WHAT???! Farmer had no idea it was supposed to get that cold last night. Luckily, everything looks okay)
Warnings: Farmer better pay closer attention to the lows!
Mood of the farm: Excited about the new additions, and the rain.

No comments: