Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Farming Should Probably Stay on the Farm

FYI: farming exuberance does not fit during dramatic play in a preschool classroom.

4-year old kid: "come on horsey"
me: "am i the horse?"
kid: "yep. i have to put this rope on your arm."
me: "um, why?"
kid: "because i need to take you to the farm"
me (excitedly): "the farm?!"
kid: "yeah. because the farmer grew some food for you to eat."
me: "oh great. i do feel like a very hungry horse."
kid: "yeah, you are. eat the farmer's food 'cause we have to take a long trip."
me (while presented with a basket of fake food including zucchini and cukes): "yum! i grew these in my garden this summer!"
kid (with a really confused look): "what?"
me: "oh, horses don't grow vegetables, do they?"
kid: "no. we're playing horse. got it?"
me: "yep. got it. neighhhhh"


2 comments:

Aimee said...

I can totally envision the excited "the farm?!?!" response.

H.Maxwell said...

judy "the human speed bump" left you a message after your post.