Monday, September 22, 2008

Science in Action

I spent a lot of time on this blog chronicling the perils of growing tomatoes in pots. Like when I was sure they had wilt, even though I knew I planted a wilt-resistant variety. Or when I was sure the curled leaves were evidence of early life stress, even though I babied those seeds . And while I've known that other people successfully grow tomatoes in pots, I've generally preferred to chalk it up to "Mother Nature Does It Better."

Well those crappy tomato plants finally stopped making small, crappy tasting tomatoes, and I dumped them rather happily. There's nothing like having pots at the entrance to the Farm mocking your budding Farming Skillz. Well imagine my surprise when I found the following inside the pots:


The red and yellow circles are the two tomatoes plants, and for context, let me tell you it had rained for three days straight.
Curious scientific observation #1: The soil was bone dry.
Curious scientific observation #2: The pots were basically solid roots at the bottom, which suggests that Observation #1 was not a fluke.

The blue circle shows the soil from the cilantro/coriander pot, which has been sitting empty since I cut the plant for the coriander drying project.
Curious scientific observation #3: That soils was DRIPPING wet. As in, water poured out with soil, even though the bottom of the pot of course had holes.
Curious scientific observation #4: The soil was way darker and more dense in this pot than the other two.

Taking these Curious Scientific Observations and using my powers of deduction and formal operations, I have drawn the following Scientific Conclusions:
Scientific Conclusion #1: Soils are different, and when you accidentally buy top soil instead of potting soil you should get your rear back in the car and return it. Should you think to yourself, "well, I'll just pot the seedlings in the top soil and fix it when I transplant rather than get the car dirty again," then you better REMEMBER that detail before planting cilantro in it.

Scientific Conclusion #2: Potting soil dries out REALLY quickly, especially when the pot is FULL of roots. I can only conclude that starting about a month after those tomato plants moved to the Farm, I was already under-watering them. Amazingly, that was about the time I started Worrying about wilt and other tomato diseases...

Scientific Conclusion #2a: Watering requirements are different for farms vs. pots with potting soil vs. pots with top soil (Don't Do It!). It's almost like you have to find the right match between the plants, their soil, the growing context, the weather, and the amount of water you add. Whoever heard of such a thing?!

Scientific Conclusion #3: I gave growing things in pots short shrift. LUCKILY, Guatemala K (who has been back in the frozen tundra for a while now, but will forever be known on the blog as Guatemala K) gave me the coolest present ever last week! It's a tomato growing kit! In a bag!


This winter, I'm going to try to tip science on its head by: a) growing tomatoes b) in a bag c) in my apartment d) in the winter. Guess that means the blog will not completely hibernate this winter! Intrigued? Go here to get one for yourself and we can have a winter farming version of a book club--you know, all try to grow them and compare results! I already know Dr. Corncobb and her green thumb want to participate. ;)

(Actually, that just links to the Amazon site--you can google it to buy it from a smaller, more independent kind of place. Or if you live in the Twin Cities, get it at Twin Cities Green.)

Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 82F
Yesterday's low: 52F
Warnings: Real rain arriving soon.
Mood of the farm: Hopefully primping itself for the arrival of the Farmer's mother this weekend. The Farm is not exempt from the pre-parental cleaning spree.
Reason to consider a new career: Still happy with real career.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so much parental pressure to perform well ....i had no idea. watch out for Rosa surprises while touring.