Saturday, January 17, 2009

2008 Review | Wando Peas


Dates and times
The Wando peas, if you can believe such a thing, we're planted on May 24, and the first pea pod didn't even show up until around July 11th (high temp: 81F) and wasn't ready for eating until late July. A summer pea? I mean, really. Who ever heard of such a thing.


Keep or Lose?
I suppose the good news in all of that is that in the heat of the summer, there was a steady, slow production of peas, and on all but the hottest days, they were extremely sweet and delicious. Sadly, I think we harvested a total of about 18-24 pea pods. No, really. So I think I'm going to stick with the Wando variety again this year with a number of...

,,,Changes for 2009
Many. First of all, the peas are going into the ground early. Super early. And then instead of letting them grow so slowly in the heat of the summer, I'm pulling them out and replacing with green beans, which we all agree that we can't get enough of.

Also, I'm going to stake all the peas, even though it says not to. The peas that weren't staked looked like fine lace by the time June rolled around, and they never produced a pea.

Fun Fact
Minnesota is the largest grower of peas in the U.S.


Running planting list for 2009
Wando peas
(that list will be more fun as it gets longer, I swear...)

3 comments:

H.Maxwell said...

Green Beans!!! More Green Beans I say!!!
Also, I am in favor of our path plan. I think you should share with the readers your plan you have up your sleeve. :) I promise I won't do the nestea plunge on the crops again. I swear.

Farmer G said...

Patience, consumer! I will reveal my plan to keep your ass out of the tomatoes at just the right time. I have to make some decisions and a sketch first...

Rosemary said...

Will be watching to see your list lengthen.