Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In case there was any doubt...

at how new/bad I am at this farming gig, here's one more example:

"Fall chores" on the farm were ignored in favor of "fall chores" of the academic year--the overlap is really unfortunate. Anyway, today I took a peek under the mulch covering the strawberries and green onions, only to realize there are green leaves under there. But the question is, new or old??? Honestly, I think they're a mix, which all boils down to one thing: this Farmer has a Big Mess on her hands.

SO, if anyone reading this actually knows the proper way to grow strawberries and has any suggestions for righting the ship, puh-lease leave them in the comments.

Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 49F
Yesterday's low: 43F
Warnings: more snow is coming. no, really.
Reason to consider a new career: I think this post basically covers it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just let them do what they are going to do. They are a plant which has survived for many generations without any help from farmers

Carmen Marlot said...

I'm no expert and I haven't grown strawberries since I was a kid but here's my two cents:
First leaves are not a good mulch for strawberries, it's better to use hay or straw just make sure there are no seeds in it.
Second don't know what "green leaves" you are referring to so can't help ya there. If they are leaves from the mulch that are still green just toss them in your compost.
Strawberries require at least 6 hours of sun each day, more is better, they like the heat.
They need to have good drainage, they like to stay moist but no standing water. Planted on a slope is best.
It is better not to plant them near tomatoes, peppers, or plants that are prone to disease. Strawberries catch diseases easily.
If you have June bearing then it is best not to allow fruit the first year, pinch off all flowers and allow the plant to use it's energy to become stronger. If you have ever bearing plants then pinch off the first flowers and allow a later harvest, the plant will have time to get stronger. I'm not sure when you planted your garden so that may be a moot point.
Strawberries produce runners, if you want more plants then let the runners go otherwise remove them.
That's about all I know. I would google "how to grow strawberries" and get more information.
good luck and let me know if you need help eating them. I could bring the shortcake.
kv