Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cucumber Envy?

Recently, people I know who read the blog have suggested that my cucumbers (and other edibles pictured on the blog) may be unnaturally large. I realize this is probably because I photograph them without anything in the pictures for reference, or the reference thing is out of proportion, like this potato, but I don't happen to tell you that. If you saw this picture, you'd think my cukes are each a foot long, right?
















...WRONG. That's a mini-potato I got at the farmers' market today for roasting at breakfast with H&N tomorrow morning. Here's a more accurate marker of size:
















That's right folks, chapstick. My cukes are pretty small. The seeds are not for gigantic cukes, and the soil isn't so rich where they're growing anyway...
Just like everything else, there are a million varieties of cucumbers to grow, and we picked a small-ish, bush-type cuke that doesn't vine very much, since the Farm was already pretty crowded. That sentence makes it sound like H, N, & I had that very discussion at Linder's when we were picking seeds... In reality, I'm pretty sure we said "Growing cukes would be good!" and grabbed the closest thing with a picture of a cucumber on it that we could reach.

For variety references...here are my cukes (middle), a farmers' market cuke (above) and part of the farm box cuke (below, a special greenhouse variety).

















Also, if this delicious Fellowship beverage I just mixed up (thanks for the recipe, Dr. J!) doesn't make you thirsty, I'm pretty sure we can't be friends.



















Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 85F
Yesterday's low: 62F
Warnings: The nights are getting chilly. If you are *ahem* covered in unripe tomatoes, you better allocate your resources accordingly.
Mood of the farm: happy to be fed yesterday
Reason to consider a new career: well, I'm pretty sure I'm a better farmer than photographer, so none today.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Love your pics and blog