Sunday, August 17, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday: Bees, and Tomatoes, and Watermelons Oh My! Edition

Join Green Thumb Sunday

Green Thumb Sunday: Bees, and Tomatoes, and Watermelons Oh My! Edition

On first glance, this looks like a jumble of watermelon and tomato plant leaves,

But upon closer inspection, I found this bee in the process of pollinating the watermelon flower that was growing up the tomato plant and its cage.

And also this watermelon, about tennis ball size, right at the base of the tomato plant.

Here are the other two watermelons that are growing, in case lack of information about watermelon growth has been keeping you up nights...

The big one I've blogged about before:
The new miniMelon on the scene:


Join

Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.


Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 86F
Yesterday's low: 61F
Warnings: The last gasp of summer is on its way. Prepare for a week-ish long heatwave.
Mood of the farm: Surprisingly prosocial. This might be a bit of a hitch for Darwin's whole survival of the fittest thing...
Reason to consider a new career: None. However, I am working on my list of things I'm looking forward to (excited is too strong of a word--farmers are stoic people) at the Great Minnesota Get Together. I am planning two trips, and you know they will be copiously photographed.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Nice! Fresh grown watermelon sounds good on a hot day like today!

Happy GTS!

Anonymous said...

one of those trips better be to see Brandi Carlisle with the 419 behotches!