Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Say MiniChuck, What Does the Farm Look Like From Your Side of the Fence?

Here's the view. A few things to point out.
1.) The Wando peas have moved on to greener pastures due to the August heat. Next year: more Wandos planted closer together (shocking, I know) and much earlier, and staked right away. The watermelon has happily slid over to use some of that area. Check out the weird little watermelon thing that's growing. I'm not really sure what its deal is, but it's there. None of the others are growing. Odd.
2.) The Romaine is gone (and some of the leaf lettuce too) except for one little head, but you really can't tell because the cucumbers have grown right into that space. Next year: more Romaine and less leaf lettuce, all planted in a shadier part of the Farm and maybe not in rows. Gasp, I know.
3.) The zucchini is huge and flowering like mad as you can see. Next year: DO NOT PLANT ZUCCHINI RIGHT IN THE ENTRANCE TO THE FARM. It takes some acrobatics to get on the farm, and everyone who knows me knows that acrobat is not a word that describes me.




















Today, you're also getting a close-up of my albino tomato plant. What, you've never heard of an albino plant before? Me either. I have no idea what the deal is with this thing, but all the tomatoes it's growing (and there are many) all look like this, and it's from the same Super 100 seed pack as the rest of the cherry tomato plants. If you have ideas, let me know, because I'm really stumped. Speaking of the cherry tomato plants, I'm not sure how it happened, but it appears that no early girls made it onto the farm or in the pots near the farm. I'm really sad about this, but glad the lemon boys are at least growing some bigger tomatoes that could start getting ripe in the next week or two. Guess I can stop worrying about how the tomatoes "stopped growing." They're just all cherry tomatoes...


















And now, in order from least to most ripe, I give you the excitement of the farm this week!



































































Cucumber beetles are a real Trial for this farmer in so many different ways:













Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 85F
Yesterday's low: 65F
Warnings: Harvest alert.
Mood of the farm: dodging beetles left and right

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps try one of the green cherry tomatos, they may be secretly done. cut one open