Monday, June 2, 2008

Ask the Farmer

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I temporarily switched careers from farmer to the kind of scientist who immerses herself in a pack of wild animals. In this case, I've joined a pack of dogs.

Anyway, being separated from chronicling the minute-by-minute changes on the farm has been a real trial, so I've decided this is a great time to get to some of the Ask the Farmer questions.

Before that though, a giant shout out to my uncle Rex, who kept the farm at the top of his mind, even while coming out of anesthesia. I plan to soak up all the farming knowledge I can from him in July, especially regarding the proper fitting of the Farmers' Almanac in the front overall pocket.

Let's start with Dr. Corncobb's question:
"What kinds of tools and products have you been using on your garden? Would you ever agree to product placement advertising? Also, I'm planting some green plants in my window box this summer. Can you recommend a product that will keep them alive since I have no green fingers of any kind?"
Well Dr. Corncobb, thanks for your questions. I've been taking an old school approach to the farm. My goal really is to do things not unlike the pioneers did. Shovel, hoe, elbow grease. And I think the pioneers would have been really happy with the community garden approach. However, I have made a few improvements from pioneer days. 1) I'm pretty sure you couldn't buy packets of seeds in the 1800s, or already started plants from Linder's. 2) I'm not at all opposed to slow-release fertilizers (though really I haven't figured out if this blows the organic-ish approach or not). 3) I highly doubt that pioneers were afraid of woodchucks.

All that being said, I'm not opposed to product placement. There's a nice area on the side of the garage, if say, the APA wanted to take out a small spot.

And finally re: the lack of green fingers. I cannot say enough good things about Osmocote fertilizer mixed in while you're planting--lasts the whole summer. Oh, and choosing plants that are a good match to the amount of sun in the area you want to plant. Hey! Maybe if this grad school thing doesn't work out, I could be a plant consultant...


Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 81F
Yesterday's low: 50F
Warnings: cold, fall weather is on the way
Mood of the farm: thirsty! (tonight's rain can't get here soon enough)
Reason to consider a new career: I can only think of reasons to be a farmer today, instead of a grad student or dog pack member. Fewer computer problems and lots more peace and quiet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to the pioneers! And their faithful, fast ponies. Both out of a job due to technology.

Also, I don't think time-release fertilizer is anti-organic. Lots of natural things take their time. Lake ice-outs. Leaves changing colors. Cortisol. Digestion. See?

Kam said...

Farmer Gower, long time reader, first time commenter. I'm quite impressed with your dedication to your new career while also maintaining your other career. Props to you.

Here's my question: If you had to make a top 10 list of your favorite things about the garden what would they be?

H.Maxwell said...

We miss the presence of Farmer Gower in our backyard at random hours of the morning. I suggest you ditch the pack life and get back to NEMO and farming.

Aimee said...

Thanks for answering my question, FG! I have plans to stop at Linder's this week for both the plants and that stuff you recommended.

If my plants die prematurely, however, I might need another product rec. Or maybe I could just hire you to maintain my plants for me.