Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Trials of the Tomatoes

Yesterday while at the farm, I took photos of the tomato plants in preparation for a blog about differences in how they're progressing. When I selected the tomato plants to put in the garden from all the seeds that I started, I specifically chose the ones that were biggest, strongest, and healthiest. Now though, a quick comparison of garden vs. patio plants tells a very different story.

Patio Tomatoes:





















Farm Tomatoes:
























While doing a little internet research on some of the possible causes I thought might be responsible for the differences (air temperature, soil temperature, water, etc.), I came upon a Hard Truth. I unknowingly violated an important rule of farming from seeds. Now I was for sure embarrassed when I first found out it was my fault, but I'm sharing this experience so that you, too, don't make the same mistake.

Apparently when you start seeds, you have to spend two weeks going through a "hardening off" process. Snicker away... Anyway, this basically involves gradually introducing the little seedlings to the big bad world in hour (or better yet half hour) increments. Eventually you build up to full days and nights outside. My seedlings went from sunny living room window to enclosed, greenhouse-like porch, directly to the garden under threat of frost. Clearly, I am a harsh and insensitive seedling mom. Now that I know about hardening off, though, I'm hoping to do better for the next generation...


Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 72F
Yesterday's low: 55F
Warnings: Severe thunderstorm warning
Mood of the farm: Bracing for hail
Reason to consider a new career: Complete ignorance regarding the Rules of Farming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should summon AM to drop some ordinary magic on those tomatoes. Seriously, there must be room for tomato resilience here. I'm searching for a pun about early experience for early girl tomatoes and coming up with bupkis. Dr. S, maybe you can do better?

H.Maxwell said...

Maybe you should sow the seeds... ;)

Jessica said...

Anonymous' comment affords a response. The Situation involving your tomatoes is unfortunate, and it parallels Elman's work on language learning. Elman, as you well know, suggests that ever-loosening constraints on children's cognitive capacities allow them to make tiny steps toward language acquisition. In the case of your tomatoes, it appears that there are no constraints, and the Farmer responsible for their care needs to impose that order for them. Science in action (or by analogy), Farmer Gower.

Anonymous said...

Is Elman the love child of Wellman & Gellman?