Thursday, June 19, 2008

My How You've Grown

Friends, Farmers, Pioneers, and Countrymen!

I returned to the farm last night after a six day hiatus, and I cannot even begin to describe the changes. If I'm not careful, I'm afraid this post could stretch on for days and days. So to get everyone up to speed, I thought a newspaper headline approach might be best...


Farmer Gower's Tomatoes Demonstrate Resilience in Non-Human Species
(page A-1, above the fold)
Just a week ago, these were the cold, stunted tomato plants I almost pulled out. Now they're out of hibernation and growing with gusto. As much as it pains me to say it because she does not need one additional ounce of encouragement, Suburban Farmer was *cough*right*cough*. Farming takes patience, and this farmer needs to find some stat.

Intensive Cultivation Method Proves Once Again Farmer Has a Lot to Learn
(page A-1, below the fold)
Folks, I've already admitted my less-than-accurate impression of the probability of planted seeds growing. I get it. They grow. All of them. But now I am left with this mess, which I really have no idea how to thin. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, and will of course keep you posted. The good news, I guess, is that the carrots have now sprouted too along with the spinach.

Beans and Peas as High as a MiniChuck's Eye, and It Looks Like They're Climbing Clear Up to the Sky
(page A-2)


Rabbits Weep at Edge of Fence Keeping Them From Lettuce Bounty
(page A-4)
I think the first salad leaves will be ready to pick in a week or two. At least the chilly spring weather was good for one crop. The Romaine will take a little longer, but not much.

Strawberries, Watermelon, Zucchini, and Onions Keep on Keepin' On
(page A-10)





Weeds Threaten to Overtake Farm, Require Immediate Attention
(page B-1, above the fold, city section)
For instance, have a look around this bunch of carrot seedlings. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.


Neighbors Report Disturbance at 419; Farmer Found Shouting, Dancing a Jig in Joy, Surveying Her Bounty
(page C-18, Police Blotter)
The farm in the first rays of morning sun, after reuniting with its Farmer and a good soak from the hose (side note: Farmer can't believe there are places where you still have to water after her excursion to the rest of the midwest). Cages placed on tomatoes that are staying for the whole summer. Tomatoes without cages better shape up or risk replacement, though the jury is still out. Herb Report and Volunteer Update later this week.




Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 78F
Yesterday's low: 53F
Warnings: none
Mood of the farm: joyful at the return of the farmer (if I may be so modest)
Reason to consider a new career: the spinach and carrot fiasco is a little humbling...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy moly, that lettuce looks good! Science in Action longitudinal study idea:

Coat the romaine leaves with a mixture of garlic, lemon, olive oil, and parmesan. Time how long it takes for Anonymous K to sneak over with croutons and eat the leaves in the night.

Anonymous said...

to thin you bounty, use a small scissor. By selectively cutting the leaves of several plant (ie. every other plant), the root will not have the energy it needs to continue forming a carrot. That way you don't risk pulling out the carrots you'd like to keep as you try and thin the row