Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Updates from the Farm

After 24 hours without visiting the farm, I started to get the shakes. Luckily, I made time to go today, and things are looking better than I had imagined!

Lettuce and spinach are still going strong. And the onions are up, but my computer focused on the wrong thing, so those pictures will have to wait.


Strawberry plants going crazy.









Cucumbers sprouted.





Zucchini too!








And those Wando peas...

What's that you say? Why aren't there pictures of the green bean seedlings? Well, that's because they're not up yet. Since I was sure I got a bad seed packet (um, do those even exist?), I carefully excavated the surface of one lowly green bean seed. THEY'RE GROWING! At least they were until I tried to check into the situation...

This weekend, the weeding cannot be put off any longer. The tomatoes are going to get cages, even though it's so cold they wouldn't know how to grow if they wanted to. And some of the lettuce will need to be thinned. Did you know that when you plant seeds, nearly all of them sprout? Yeah, I had no idea. So the row of lettuce is kind of hysterical/embarrassing, depending on how you look at it. I'm calling it a Learning Opportunity. Apparently mother nature knows what she's doing. Also possibly this weekend, Suburban Farmer has some garlic chive and border plants to share with this farmer and N is hoping she'll share some giant hostas with the rest of the yard. All in a day's work...

On tap for tomorrow: A scientific investigation into what the heck is up with my tomato plants.



Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 62F (no, really)
Yesterday's low: 55F
Warnings: Obama in the house!
Mood of the farm: youthful
Reason to consider a new career: Diggin' up the seeds. Again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you leave the underground growing beans ALONE!??? They are crying back there being uncovered and covered, and uncovered and covered. They are fed up...yes, they told me! "Let us grow in peace woman", they said to tell you. Don't kill the messenger....

Anonymous said...

some of you unfamiliar with farming may be wondering what those small tiny yellowish balls are, that surround the Wando Peas....well that is "vegetable food"...helps the veggies grow healthy and faster. It hasn't helped the beans....but that is another story...

H.Maxwell said...

Patience Farmer Gower. I heard you are digging up our seeds to "check on them." Ok, that's borderline crazy. Let buried seeds lie. ;)