Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Say, what's been happening on the farm?

Maisy and I went to check on the farm quickly because there is a Threat of Rain. A real, serious, threat, and so I wanted to document the farm before it gets potentially blown away to Kansas or something. This involved rushing to the farm before coffee, which naturally and predictably resulted in me not noticing a special gift Rosa left for me just outside the fence entrance area. I'll spare you the details, but the Lesson of the Day is this: forgoing the coffee leads to unnecessary trials on the part of the farmer.

Anyway, while hosing off my shoe, I realized that the blog has been so busy with volunteer plant contests and farmers' markets and dog packs that I haven't posted any pictures since the veggies were just sprouting. And really, there's been a ton of growth on the farm!

So without further ado...

The red leaf lettuce!
















The first spinach leaves! Note: This row is planted using the French cultivation method (spinach and carrots mixed together), so I have no idea how to thin it out. Unless you guys have any ideas, I'm using the Farmer Rex (inspired by Darwin) method of survival of the fittest.




















Hey! Look at those Wando peas!




















On the right row, green beans (front) and Wando peas (back). On the left, the lettuce. Dead center, volunteer #1.





















Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 71F
Yesterday's low: 55F
Warnings: Flash flood watch
Mood of the farm: hunkering down for thunder and lightning

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

H. meantioned Rosa didn't "quite" make it in the Pit. and Quote, "Rosa left a surprise for Farmer Gower"
Sounds like you "found" it! ICK!!!

Anonymous said...

evidently...I need to use spell check!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Farmer Gower for Rosa's "trap turds." I told her "in the pit" but i think she is slightly revolting. She's doing just enough to not burn the grass!
We will work on that.