Thursday, June 26, 2008

Okay Okay It's the Herb Report

Settle down, people. I had no idea there was so much interest in the Herb Report. Mostly, I assumed once again that interest in the herbs went in the same category as everything else about the Farm--humoring me because you know I'm obsessed, and you're all good friends/strangers. Or you're a master grad school procrastinator like me. But lo and behold, I received emails about the lack of a thorough Herb Report, and face-to-face questioning and expression of Disappointment (one even featuring a claim that the herbs were feeling left out and would stop growing). So without further ado...


The mint seems to be growing, despite the ridiculous amount of weeds I have neglected to pull. I'm chalking it up to George, because I certainly haven't been providing any attention...

















Here are more recent photos of the Thai Basil and Sweet Basil, which you can see are extremely happy. Farmer N has been using both to great effect!

































Here's one of the cilantros, bolting its little brains out. Have I mentioned how much I dislike coriander? It was good while it lasted, I guess, but this farming gig provides a lot of Learning Opportunities. And one of the primary herb lessons I've learned to far is that Minnesota is just too hot for growing cilantro outside in the summer. Spring, sure. Fall maybe. But not the summer.




Friends, I'd like to admit that the Herb Report is forcing me to tip my hand regarding an area of the Farm I haven't even told you about yet. It's true, you and MiniFarm have not been properly introduced. I could explain all the reasons why, but I think instead, I'll just introduce you. I hope you don't have too many Feelings about being left out of part of the Farm. MiniFarm, meet the good people of the internets. Good people of the internets, meet MiniFarm, circa June 11th and 26th.






















What's that you say? It looks like a bunch of weeds? And I took the pictures from different angles like a tool so you can't tell what's going on? I know, I know. It's one of the reasons you haven't been introduced. Here are a few close-ups of what's growing there.













More bolting-its-brains-out cilantro from my patio in the left corner of MiniFarm.

















Green onions, with giant flowers.

















Alright, now this one is really interesting. Most of the plants in this area are transplants, generously donated from SG, and this particular one she received from the wilds of somewhere. I don't know. It's a wild onion. But when I transplanted them (look in the first picture above), the leaves immediately died--the the papery, tan leaves in the bottom of the landscape picture of MiniFarm. Just yesterday, when I went to water, I noticed that this little shoot sprouted up while I was away! I'm excited to see what it will look like, and to taste the wild onions next summer.

Also living in MiniFarm, but not close-up pictured: garlic chives and green beans (you can see them in the overview pics). Both are a little worse for the wear because that part of MiniFarm turns out to be the very best place to rest on a hot day, because the dirt is cool. I mean, if you're a dog, not a person, and especially if you're a dog who likes to be close to her mama while she's Farming, cleaning out the garage, or gardening. Probably if you're one of those dogs, you'd look like this in your excitement over Harvest Day:




























Farm Vitals
Yesterday's high: 87F
Yesterday's low: 71F
Warnings: Pollen still kickin'
Mood of the farm: The tomatoes are starting to flower!!!!!
Farming Math Lesson: [mosquito bites + hockey practice(shin guards*sweating)]/90 minutes = the least comfortable experience I've had in a while

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Glad to see you have some great canine "helpers" in the farming biz.

Also, I DO have a lot of Feelings about not getting to know MiniFarm...beware!