Thursday, June 12, 2008

Farmer Victory!

It was not the squirrel, Nutz4Nuts, who had a taste for cilantro.

It was this character:












And this one fat one that I suspect ate most of the leaves:



















And two others, just like them. At least, that's how many I've found so far. This farmer was looking for the beasts during the day, when the real trick was to sleuth around at night.

Using my Farmer Resources (aka a link provided by N to the U of MN Extension Service), I believe these are cutworms. The U's picture looks suspiciously like my cilantro-scarfers.















Now if I could only figure out what the problem is with the patio tomato plants (flea beetles??), the pest problems might be under control for one minute. Tentative Theory on the Farm: growing plants outside is better than pretending your screened in patio is a farm.

No comments: